Thursday, August 13, 2009

Teacher Gift: Boo Boo Box

Hi Friends,
Today is Day 4 of Teacher Gifts Week. Pop Quiz! Ca
n you name the last 3 ideas I've shared with you? (Trio Box, lanyard, pointer) Gold Star for you!!! I knew this was the gifted group! OK, today's project I call...

Teacher's Boo Boo Box

At my school, we have a school nurse 1 day a week- on Thursdays. So I tell my kiddos if they're going to get hurt---> do it on Thursday because any other day it's the secretary (or me). Which brings me to today's project. It's very practical to have a boo boo box in my classroom. If someone gets a paper cut, scrapes a knee or elbow I don't need to send them to the office for a band-aid (plus, the office doesn't want us to send them unless they're bleeding profusely, dying or on fire.) I just put on my nurse's hat (on top of all the other hats I have to wear) & take care of it speedy quick with a wink ;) So, let's get on with the deets shall we...

I got this recipe box while visiting "Uncle Mike's" (aka Michael's) last week for around 60 cents (on clearance). cute huh.

NOTE: While working on the box, I fell into "the zone" -you know the one where your mind gets so involved, you forget about anything else going on. Well, I forgot I was making a tutorial so I forgot to take pictures! D'OH! So I'll just talk you through what I did:

I cut & adhered red cardstock around the whole box to cover it up. I cut smaller panels in white CS & ran it through my Hello Kitty embossing folder on my Hello Kitty Big Shot while drinking water from my Hello Kitty mug----OK, I'll stop :) I punched out the little border & cut it into strips to fit the rim of the box. I added the big band-aid die cut with foam tape to the lid. Oh, I also sanded and inked all of the edges & panels before adhering.
(front view)

(side view)
(top view)This is when I realized I had forgotten to take pictures. After I was about done!!!

Then I punched out the "Boo Boo" & band-aid & added the sticker letters to spell "box".

I've had these die cuts FOREVER! It feels soooo good to finally use them! Now, you know what I'm about to say next... say it with me... Stick a fork in it 'cause it's DONE! Woo!

Here's what I filled it with:

All the essentials: A pair of gloves, Antiseptic wash, Antiseptic pads, Gauze, Cotton swabs, Cotton Balls, and a bunch of band-aids in assorted sizes. (I actually added more band-aids than this after. You cannot have too many band-aids in class!)

See how nicely it fits in the box?
I put the cotton balls & swabs in a baggie. Because of it's compact size, it's perfect to take with you on field trips (just in case you need to save the day there :)


Cute, but too elementary-ish? Short on time? Well, then let me show you what's behind door number 2:
I bought this one at Walmart for like 68 cents (reduced price!)

Peel off the label, add the same items into it and.. Voilà!

See it closes nicely too. Easy peasy!
You can personalize these with Paint Pens, Sharpies, Stickers, etc...

Here's a little tag-along gift to go with the Boo Boo Box.

So simple. I just added a scrap piece of Pattern Paper left over from the Lanyard card & wrapped it around the bottle & then added this cute little band-aid I made. Wanna see how to make it? Here you go!

My inspiration was the die cut. As soon as I saw it, all the pieces came together in my head. Punch one (creamy caramel) using the Key Tag Punch (retired SU!) ---don't worry. Just cut a rectangle & round all the corners with a corner rounder.

Run it through the Swiss Dots embossing folder. You want the debossed side so that you get the details of a real band-aid. Ink the edges.
Cut a little square, ink the edges, add a dimensional on the back, & pop it onto the middle of the punch. Easy peasy, but uber cute :)

TIP: To get the little square, I punched a second key tag out,
cut off both ends, & trimmed a little off the top side. That way I wasn't wasting time trying to figure out measurements. :)

Here they are together:
(I added a little ribbon around the pump after I took all the pics.)

Of course I have a card for you!
I made a really quickie arm shaped card (but I guess it could also be a knee too! Hee! Hee!) Note to self: I need to move the arm/knee over a bit on my template. I made a template, traced it on Blush Blossom CS, & cut it out. I cut the 2 red pieces to create the sleeve/shorts. They're inked & faux stitched. The little "fold/hem" is popped on dimensionals. Then I made another little band-aid & added it to the arm/knee. I wanted to add part of a sentiment to the front, but nothing was coming to me that I liked. The inside reads "Thanks for coming to the aid of our kids." I also thought of "Let me know if you ever need a hand." But I don't know about that one. It might be taken the wrong way :( BTW: The Cricut Wild Card cartridge has a band-aid card. So you can crank one out quick & easy there too!

Here's the ensemble:


and how I'm gifting it:
It all fits perfectly! I got this cute wood box at "Uncle Mike's" too. It was under $2 on clearance. I still need to paint it, but won't it look sooo cute when it's all done? Uh Huh :)


4 down 1 to go! Tomorrow is the last day of my Teacher Projects. It's something that is a must have in my classroom. It's something I created out of necessity & it has saved my behind many times. What could it be??? I wonder, Yup, I wonder.

Thanks for peekin' at my projects today! Remember that although these are teacher themed projects, you can make them into any theme you want. You can fill the box with other goodies as well. So, do you have some ideas you'd like to share with other readers? Let's hear them! Would you do it for
extra-credit ;) I'm off to do some school shopping---Gotta go!



The 411:

Paper: Red CS, White CS -DCWV, Blush Blossom CS, Creamy Caramel CS -SU! Teacher's Pet Pattern Paper -Imaginisce
Ink: Chestnut Roan cat's eye -Color Box, Creamy Caramel, Real Red -SU!
Tools: Hello Kitty Dots & Diamonds Lg Embossing Folder -Sizzix, Swiss Dots EF -Cuttlebug, Key Tag Punch -SU!, Tim Holtz Design Ruler, Piercer
Other: Embossible Designs "Ouch" Die Cut Sheet -We R Memory Keepers, dimensionals -SU!, Foam Tape

10 comments:

  1. Another great idea!!! Awesome project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karli, you are amazing! Such great projects! And thanks so much for the tuts! You have brought a lot of unused craft juice to my mind!! lol! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet again another amazing teacher project. I'm going to be sad when these projects end tomorrow. They have all been such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING....I LOVE it and I'll let you know now that I will be lifting the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this is too cute and as a teacher too I would love to have this in my room (and I teach High School). I may have to make one now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANOTHER great project!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this seriously is just the cutest thing ever! As a former teacher its amazing how much time you can save by handing out a bandaid lol.. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and a ton of work for you! i am a nurse- I love the bandaid idea- you are so creative!!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. an awesome project! And I know how handy it would be for an elementary classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin