Friday, August 7, 2009

A2 Pizza Box with Border Tutorial

Hi friends,
Today I have a tutorial to create the Pizza Box to fit A2 (standard size) cards. This box has room for you to use a border punch to create a beautiful border around the sides. But you can leave it borderless if you'd like. I used my Scor-Pal (which helps to create t
his box in no time), but it is not necessary.

Here's the completed box I'll be showing you how to make today:
preeeety huh! So, let's get started:

Here's what you'll need:
Scor-Pal or Paper Trimmer

Scoring tool of your choice
scissors
Strong adhesive like Scor-Tape or Sticky Strip (Red line tape), or wet glue
12 x 12 Cardstock


Begin with a 12 x 12" sheet of cardstock.


Cut it down to 8" x 12". Score at 1" & 7" along 8" side.

Turn and score at 1", 5 1/2", 6 1/2", and 11". (This is where the Scor-Pal comes in handy because you don't have to move your paper to score the different measurements.) click on the pic if you want a closer look.

Cut on the score lines along the 12" side, up to where the score lines meet. Do that on both sides as shown.

This step is optional, but it helps to create a finished, professional looking box (I always do this step.) Trim a little off 2 sides of the tabs so they look like little pots or "V" (see pic). You just do that to the 3 small tabs, not the 2 larger rectangles on both sides.
This is where you punch your pretty border. Use your punch of choice. I used my new fav Martha Stewart Punch. (It doesn't really matter which side, but the side you punch will now be the lid.) Leave a side of the end tab unpunched. (see pic)
You may want to decorate it now that it's flat, if you choose.


Now add your adhesive to the tabs. (My tabs are black b/c I'm using double sided cardstock.) I use Scor-Tape. I love it especially for boxes! You should use strong adhesive or your box will fall apart. You can use wet glue, I just hate waiting for it to dry- I'm so impatient!

Fold all the score lines before you begin assembly- it makes it easier & your box will have crisp, clean edges that way. Adhere the tabs to the inside, bottom part of your box.

Here's your box! The lid closes over the box base.

Here's the finished product embellished along side the matching cards. (1 shown)On the box, I cut out some of the flowers left from the patterned paper & popped them up with dimensionals & layered on top. Looks like the flowers are 3D!

TIP #1: If you wrap ribbon around your box, be sure you don't wrap it all the way around- your box won't open. Just wrap the ribbon along 3 sides (side, front, side) secure with adhesive.

Tip #2: Quickie Measurements
Score 1" on all 4 sides. Turn paper to 12" side & score 5 1/2" & 6 1/2" only (1 & 11" were already scored.) I just wanted to take you through step-by-step for the 1st time, but now that you're a pro, these directions will make it even quicker!

Tip #3: Snug Box
If you want your cards to fit a little more snugly in the box, cut your cardstock 7 3/4" x 12" and follow the same scoring measurements.

If you'd rather not use 12 x 12" cardstock & don't care for the punched border on the lid, then I've got something else for you... I have also created a
second version which uses 1 sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" cardstock, but there's no room for a cute border. Would that be something that interests you? I'll post instructions for that Pizza Box tomorrow if you're interested--- It's just too much for my poor brain to handle in one day!

Edited to Add: Absolutely, you can use this tutorial to create boxes for your own projects! I'm happy to share what I create with you. That's how we learn- by sharing what we know with others. I just ask that you link the directions to this tutorial (or other tutorials/posts) directly to my blog. If you have any other Q's, just let me know!

The Scor-Pal & tape can be found here. No, I don't get $ for referring anyone. I just love it & I like sharing the tools I love with you.


Thanks for peekin' at my A2 Pizza Box tutorial & I hope you give it a try :) I'm off to eat a little something & veg for a while--- Gotta go!

The 411
Paper: Pretty Poppies- Autumn Leaves, Kiwi Kiss- SU!, Black/White Cardstock- Coredinations
Stamps: Wonderful Words- SU!
Ink: Kiwi Kiss- SU!
Tools: Scor-Pal,
Scor-Tape, Border Punch- Martha Stewart
Other: Ribbon

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karli, thanks so much for this tutorial! It is exactly what I need! Yours are so beautiful! Great job! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job on your box hun!!!! Love the border tooo:)

    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you for the great tutorial! You did a superb job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great tutorial...I'm definitely going to add a link on my blog! Beautiful box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. I just might get a head start on some teacher gifts and make some of these. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the tutorial, it is done so well. I love your flowers made by cutting out the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tutorial! I was making some Christmas Cards this morning for a sale at our school to raise money! What a great idea to put them in a matching box with your instruction! Thank you! michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! Just what I've been looking for...going to be more 'handmade gifts' this year and this will be perfect..I also love your creative design...thanks for sharing! Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect! I was just looking for something like this to box up a card set. Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much - I knew I'd seen this somewhere, did a search on SCS and found yours! Thanks for sharing!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this tutorial! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin