Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cake Box Tutorial



Hi friends,
I had a few questions about creating the box for the cake, so I thought I'd create a tutorial for you.

Here's what you'll need:
one 12x12 sheet of cardstock (base)
one 8 1/8" x 8 1/8" sheet of cardstock or nice weight patterned paper (lid) ---> I used an 8 1/2" x 11" & cut it down to size

BOX BASE: First, take your 12x12" sheet & score at 4" on all four sides so it looks like this: (I traced over it in pen so you can see it better, you would just score it)


Next, you cut out each of the corners so it looks like this:

Then, you decorate the base of your box as you'd like (I added the doily under the cake.) Fold all 4 sides up on the score lines.

BOX LID: Take your 8 1/8" x 8 1/8" cardstock and score all four sides at 2".

Then you cut on the 4 score lines as shown in dark (bold) top & bottomTo create a more finished looking box, I snip a little of the ends at a slant (see bottom right corner of the picture.) All the other 3 tabs have already been trimmed.
NOTE: This is where you can take your decorative scissors or border punches to create a detailed border around the lid of your box.


To complete the lid, add strong adhesive (like scor-tape or sticky strip) to the 2 tabs & adhere to the middle tab. Do that to both sides.

Here's the completed lid:

And the completed box!
Once you've made one, you'll be cranking these out in no time! I hope this tutorial helps you see how easy it is to make this box (or any box- since it's the basic formula.)
I'm working on the tutorial for the little rosebuds- so that's on its way.

Thanks for peeking in today! I'm off to take my hubby out for his birthday- Gotta go!

16 comments:

  1. Your box is just beautiful. I love the gold touches.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok I love this box, and I would love to know how to make the cake that goes inside it, my girlfriends Birthday is in a couple of days and would love the directions. Thanks

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so thoughtful to include a template, and free of charge. I really do appreciate all of the time and effort that I'm sure you put into it. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a tutorial of cake box making, and I'm really happy to see your site!! Thanks a lot for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really helpful for me! I actually used it to make a full sized box for an 8 inch round cake I baked for a friend. I used a piece of poster board and reinforced the bottom with a piece of sturdy cardboard. THANK YOU! So much for this tute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got here via other craftblogs. I love it!! Thanks for the tutorial, really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made a box and just posted it on my blog:
    http://yogibear1301.blogspot.com/2011/06/mr-and-mrs-weddingcake-box.html
    You are welcome to visit me!
    Hugs Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the box but i want to know how to make that cake plz plz tell me..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that box looks really pretty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the box. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice idea , really simple and quick .. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow these Cake Boxes are just amazing,
    great work keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is cardstock same as cardboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they are very different. Cardstock is a solid layer of paper. It doesn't have the wavy layer in the middle that gives cardboard strength and keeps it lightweight. Think of cardboard as the material of a box.

      Delete
  14. I love the box, thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin